Kellington with Whitley Parish
Before the Norman Conquest Kellington, then including Beal as well as Roall and Eggborough, belonged to a Saxon named Baret. According to the Domesday Survey Baret's lands were granted by William the Conqueror to Ilbert de Lacy. Whitley remained in the King's hands with a local lord, Aelric, holding it as King's tenant.
Kellington parish has a considerable connection with The Order of Knights Templar which was founded in 1119. In England they held land in most counties and although their headquarters were in London their largest possessions were in Yorkshire. Temple Hirst, probably, after Faxfleet, the oldest Yorkshire property, is the only preceptory in the county of which remains survive.
|March 2018||June 2018||Sept 2018||Dec 2018|
|March 2019||June 2019|