Kellington with Whitley Parish
As a chapel of ease for Kellington it was built only for weekly services, it has no burial ground and was only licenced for the solemnisation of marriages in the 1960's. A previous chapel is known to have existed from at least 1200, but the site is unknown at the present. The active church life of the middle ages is proved not only by the restoration of parish churches and foundation of chantries, but in the provision of chapels of ease in large parishes where a river or stretch of marshy land separated the parish church from scattered hamlets. Such would have been the case at Whitley, at least at certain times of the year, where now the Aire and Calder Navigation runs.
The Lodge appears to have been built in the 18th century and extended in the Victorian period. The old farm building next to the Lodge dates back to 1719 and the dovecote which is situated halfway down the drive is of a similar age. Previous occupiers included William Rawden Earnshaw, Deputy of the lower division of Osgoldcross, and from the mid 19th century the Lyons family. Major Lyons had two sons killed in the 1st World War and there is a memorial to them in Kellington Church.